Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Learning Goals Update

Back in September I wrote  a post on the learning goals I wanted to pursue this school year. Well, the school year is almost over (last day is June 26th) and it's time to assess my progress. 

10 things I want to learn more about this year:

1.     How to take better photos. 
      This has not moved forward as much as I would have liked, but I will get there. My Verizon contract is up in July so a new phone is in the works (my current phone was free when I signed up with Verizon and I plan to purchase a phone this time around). Also, my birthday is in August so maybe I can finagle a camera? Just putting that out there into the world :)


2.     How to use my electronic devices (currently am only using them at about 10%)
      I've signed up for one-to one mac classes at the apple store! This is a step in the right direction. Things are looking promising.

3.     How to use this blogger layout and template designer to add a banner and links and gadgets and …
      Am currently still in search for help with this. I prefer human teachers to me fiddling with buttons that could potentially take me down a rabbit hole I won't be able to get out of. However, I did manage to view some online tutorials on how to add posts to pages in blogger, and successfully applied this below the header. I fiddled with some other things, but assistance is still needed. 

4.     How to hack an IKEA console table.
      After much deliberation and searching for the perfect kitchen storage solution for the empty wall opposite our stove, I came right back to the Norden Side Table I originally liked as it fits perfectly in that space and is the most cost effective of them all. A trip to IKEA and Benjamin Moore is imminent.


5.     New York State
      Trip to Hudson, New York, and watching PBS specials on NY and NYC ... these count towards my NYS education, no? :) 


6.     Mexico, China and South Africa
      Yes, yes and yes. Reading, making a shrine, visiting Singapore (which has roots in China), learning new facts about Chinese New Year, visiting the Ubuntu Photo Show at Chelsea Market that supports children at-risk in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, ... My enthusiasm for teaching and learning about these cultures has not wavered. Now onto Egypt!      



7.     Embroidery and fiber arts
     I tried my hands at some embroidered fabric hearts, received a sewing tutorial from mom, visited a few blogs and pinned some pins,...every little bit counts!  

8.     Sketching, drawing, painting
      I completed my Drawing II and Painting II classes at Parsons, bought a book on how to draw and am trying out some exercises, watched some drawing tutorials on youtube, continued to work in my art journals, and signed up for some online art workshops (I can not help myself with these online classes).   



9.     Collage and mixed media
      I completed my collage class (it was a good introduction), but my mixed media class was cancelled due to low enrollment. Some of the online classes I'm taking include collage. I plan to continue to explore this medium. 


10. Yoga and meditation to slow down and quiet the brain
       I took a few yoga classes at the gym last fall but after the holidays all yoga has stopped. I'm on my year off so anxiety levels are low, but this is something I would still like to pursue this summer, and put into practice when I return to work in September.



What I've learned about myself through writing down goals is that I am a lifelong learner, and that I am consistent in my pursuits despite the pace that I move in (slow and steady wins the race). I've also learned that often times the things I put off the most... are the things I need the most (e.g. yoga). They are the things that do not come easily to me or that intimidate and challenge me and take me out of my comfort zone (e.g. technology, sharing this blog, travel that's too far from home). If I am completely honest, sometimes it's simply laziness. During these times I tell myself, "Don't be afraid to experiment" and "Just Do It!" 

So what are my next steps??? Work on some house projects, take those mac classes and squeeze every ounce of knowledge out of them, experiment with my future iphone and camera, and for heaven's sake... go do yoga! 

No comments:

Post a Comment