Thursday, January 15, 2015

Making a Reading Life

Picture Book Biographies
It's a happy new year and that means it's time to get back into the groove of things. I've been missing in action since late December when I flew to Singapore!!! for a Family Christmas Holiday! (More on Singapore next week.) I am so ready to find my rhythm and get back to art journaling, classes, reading, taking walks (when the weather permits), exploring the city, cooking, laundry, ... and sharing it all here. Well, maybe not the laundry bit, but any who...



I had a lovely little catch up with some of my 3rd grade, teacher friends last week, and as talk inevitably finds it's way back to the classroom, they informed me that they were working on biographies in reading. Yay, biographies! I love teaching this unit, and I love using picture book biographies to get the kiddos excited and ready. These are some of my favorites right now. I also snuck in two chapter books from the "Who Was ____ ?" series that my teaching partner incorporated into the lessons last year. They are becoming quite popular, with new titles every time I visit a book shop. Most importantly, the kids love them!


The Boy Who Drew Birds by Jacqueline Davies


 Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet


A River of Words and The Right Word by Jen Bryant
 All of these wonderful picture books were illustrated by Melissa Sweet, one of my favorite children's book illustrators. I love how she incorporates painting and collage into her artwork. You can visit her website here and her educator page here.

Who Was Series


   

No comments:

Post a Comment