Thursday, January 29, 2015

MOMA: Henri Matisse The Cut-Outs

What a wonderful exhibition! A woman observing one of the pieces beside me said, "I just want to smile. His work is so bright and happy." I want to add: full of energy, color and life. The museum was crowded but it was still so worth the trip (and $25 entrance fee) to see these cut-outs in person. They've extended the days for this exhibition until February 10th. Go, go, go! More info here.


No photography allowed in the Matisse Cut-Outs exhibition rooms, but I was able to take photos of these beauties on my way out.

Oscar Murillo
7+
 2013-14

Oscar Murillo


Jean-Michel Basquiat
Glenn  
1985


Pablo Picasso
Interior with a Girl Drawing
 1935


Amadeo Modigliani
Reclining Nude
 c. 1919

When I visit a museum, I usually go to see one exhibition and then I have a quick wander through some of the other halls. I try to limit the viewing because I enjoy taking the time to process what I've seen and because too much visual stimulation is exhausting. I really had to pull myself away from this place, though. I sometimes forget that the MOMA, and these masters, are just a train ride away. And admission is free on Fridays from 4:00pm-8:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment