Thursday, June 11, 2015

Southern California I

Taking a year off from teaching was the best decision I have ever made. It took a few years of planning and soul searching, coupled with the unwavering support of my husband, family and friends, to make this a possibility. But always remember that if you can envision a dream, a goal, a wish, and you have the persistence and patience to come back to it often and over time, it will come to fruition in some way, shape or form. 

One of the perks of being off this year was that I was able to travel for longer periods, during times that would have been restrictive due to a fixed teaching calendar. Lim had a last minute work trip at the beginning of May in Costa Mesa,  so I snatched the opportunity to tag along! We were there for 18 days and got to explore what I keep referring to as an expansive stretch of mountain, sky and sea.  

Newport Beach 



Painting with Jenny Doh at Studio Crescendoh!

I learned about Jenny Doh through blogs and online workshops. I knew she was somewhere in Southern California, and when I learned she had a studio where she offered Paint with Me classes, I contacted her immediately and booked two morning sessions!





Jenny's style is intuitive and expressive so this mess you see below became...

this,

then this, which I did not like, so I started over and whacked more paint on it and it became...

this!

And here's the evolution of the second painting on wood board.





Here's a Display of Jenny's work at the entrance to the Santora Building located in the historic district in Santa Ana.

And this is me being nosy, taking photos of other studios in the building. (I love the dividing wall on casters.)



Drinks at the hotel bar. 

The Lab at night

- The LAB Antimall, Est. 1993 -

The LAB, recycled from a night vision goggle factory, began its journey to combat retail monotony almost 20 years ago. In the midst of Orange County’s suburbia and perfectly planted palm trees, we recognized a need for a homey, indoor-outdoor hang out with shops and restaurants geared for the young at heart, and not offered in every mall on every corner. The “LAB” stands for “Little American Business” and that’s what we are, and what we continue to support.






Did I mention the extra large succulents around these parts?
The Camp is a similar small business shopping area that I visited often. Everything we tried at this place was great (Black Market Bakery, Umami Burger, Ecco, Wine Lab)

The Santa Monica Pier



The Getty Center in L.A.























To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment