Thursday, October 23, 2014

Collage 101

So, enjoying the act of cutting and pasting papers, does not a collagist make, lol. I was really surprised at how much everyone had to say about this piece (and a little stressed as it was the end of class and I'm sure everyone wanted to go home, including myself because I was feeling a bit under the weather). They talked about the parts that worked; the parts they liked. And about the the areas that needed tweaking or removing, like the fact that there was too much text that distracted the eye.



Some suggestions were given on how to improve the overall composition of this piece, but I've decided to leave it be for now, but not because I disagree. There are three main reasons I will leave it alone for the time being: 
1. This is my first collage class and I want to see how my work evolves.
2. I don't feel like I've done this long enough to add or take away with confidence (though trial and error is also good). 
3. Each piece of paper was chosen because it added to the narrative of this piece. I tend to be literal and when the assignment called for "self in the city", that's exactly what I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment