Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dia de los Muertos: Calaveras

Decorating Skulls
Calaveras or skulls are made in a variety of ways during Day of the Dead. I used inexpensive paper mache skulls from Michaels and decorated them with paints, markers, and plastic flowers bought at the dollar store. 



Two coats of white craft acrylic paint. Let each coat dry completely. 


I added some flower designs using acrylic paint (let dry).
Then
doodled over them with sharpie markers and micron pens


I used an awl to punch holes at the top of the skulls. (I would not do this step with my 3rd graders.) 




Sugar skulls
Sugar skulls are a very popular tradition dating back to the 17th century when Italian missionaries brought the art of sugar sculpting to Mexico. It was an inexpensive alternative for creating scultptures used in their religious festivals. Go here and here for kits and videos on how to make sugar skulls.

One of our wonderful parents made sugar skulls and frosting for the whole class last year!
The kiddos had a ball decorating their skulls. I wonder if they kept them?





No comments:

Post a Comment