Friday, October 10, 2014

Dia de los Muertos: Niche/Shrine

How to make a Day of the Dead shrine.

You will need: patterned papers, craft paint, 3D paint, 
shadow box, and plastic flowers bought at the dollar store.


I experimented with papers first, cutting them to fit the interior of the box.


I used cardboard to cut out a banner for the top of my niche.
Then I painted it in linen white along with the box. 




I added doodles with paints and markers.


I glued down all the pieces with matte medium.




I literally stapled these plastic flowers to make sure they would stay put. 
Then I decided it need something extra, so...


I added some 3D fabric paint.






I've been wanting to try this ever since I started teaching third grade,
 and I'm quite pleased at how it turned out :)





Skulls, paper flowers and shrine.

3 comments:

  1. Theresa, this came put lovely! Where did you get the couple picture? Did you color print it? Where did you get the skulls? Finally, are you going to teach to make paper flowers? Know anything elaborate on the flower front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to write "came out lovely" sorry.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jess! I bought the skeleton couple at a craft market in Mexico last summer and I purchased paper mache skulls at Michael's, then painted and decorated them. If you go to older posts, there's a how-to on paper flowers. Unfortunately, it's the only kind of paper flower I know how to make. Thanks for stopping by xxx

      Delete