Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hudson, New York

This past weekend my husband, Lim, and I drove 2 hours north of NYC to the city of Hudson in Columbia County, NY. I had gone up for the first time in August of last year and fell in love with it. I had been wanting to explore more of upstate for a while, partly because I taught fourth grade New York State history for four years, and partly because I felt a growing need and passion to learn more about my home state.

So when Lim asked me what I wanted for my 40th birthday this year I knew I wanted him to visit Hudson and fall in love with it too (I have dreamy notions of buying a little cottage in the mountains). We spent 2 nights near all of the antique shops and restaurants on Warren Street, and we were only 15-20 minutes away from Olana NYS Historic Site, Thomas Cole National Historic Site, Omi International Arts Center, Kaaterskill Falls, Chatham Winery, I can go on and on. There's so much to see and do which means we will have to return... a few more times :).

Thomas Cole, father of the Hudson River School Painters.


The porch of Thomas Cole's home at Cedar Grove.


Cedar Grove

Pic of 200 year old tree taken from the porch.


 I love this tree and the way that bench looks so small beside it.


Pretty paper cut-out in our room.


View of the Hudson River from Olana.



My only complaint about the weekend was that I was completely unprepared for the chilly weather.

Thinking about planning a trip to Hudson? Go here and here for more info on where to eat, stay and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment