Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Summer Artifact

At the beginning of each school year we (the teaching team) ask students to bring in a summer artifact, something that represents a moment in their summer. These artifacts provide an opportunity for students to share and get to know each other with the intention of building classroom community (See activities in: The First Six Weeks of School by Paula Denton and Roxann Kriete). They can also serve as a jumping off point for journal entries and writing entries.


Everyone, including the adults, choose one artifact to share. I always follow this rule in the classroom but because I’m not in a classroom this year with 27 other people who have to share, aaand I have so much to say (I’m a teacher after all), I decided to share two.


Bookmarks 

This summer I traveled to Porto, Portugal for 3 days with my older sister, Helena. I bought these bookmarks because I love to read, I love embroidery and I love the colors. They remind me that embroidery is an old and popular art & craft in Portugal. They remind me of a special trip with my sister.    

Book
We visited the Lello Bookshop in Porto. It is said to be one of the most beautiful bookshops in the world; also said to have been frequented by J.K. Rowling during the time she lived in Portugal, and to have served as inspiration for the bookshop in Harry Potter.

What summer artifact would you bring to school?

No comments:

Post a Comment